Providing support, education and hope since 1981 to people fighting cancer, the Cancer Support Community Valley/Ventura/Santa Barbara is an independently governed and funded non-profit and an affiliate of the Cancer Support Community. We serve more than 2,000 adults, children and teens affected by cancer each year with programs throughout Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties, and West San Fernando Valley. Programs are offered in English and Spanish and are all provided AT NO COST to our participants.
We are dedicated to helping local residents with cancer and their loved ones enhance their health and well-being through professionally led support groups, educational workshops, nutrition and exercise programs, and mind/body connection classes. In our Community, people affected by cancer learn vital skills that enable them to regain control, reduce isolation and restore hope, regardless of the stage of their disease.
“It is such a comfort to be with others who truly understand my experience in a way that my loving family and friends cannot. I learn so much from my fellow group members, of both a practical and profound nature. I give and receive support.”
– Participant, the Cancer Support Community
Our Beliefs Include:
- No one can, or should, face cancer alone.
- Many, many people recover from cancer.
- While we have witnessed many significant advances in treating this devastating disease, nothing takes the place of the power, inspiration, companionship, and connection that comes from community.
- Cancer patients can participate in their recovery along with their healthcare team.
- Family members and friends of an individual with cancer, including children, can also benefit from information and support.
- There is Hope.
“Cancer patients who participate in their fight for recovery, along with their healthcare team, will improve the quality of their lives and may enhance the possibility of their recovery”
– Harold H. Benjamin, Ph.D., founder of the Cancer Support Community